Thursday, October 15, 2009

Parallel Universe

Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and wonder what's happening in that other parallel universe when he's living. Now that I'm wondering this from Germany instead of California like I was last time doesn't seem to make me feel any closer to his world. It's 2:42 am right now, so he must be sleeping but I'm still curious about the smell and temperature of the air he's breathing in. I wonder what might have happened today or what conversations he had that made a part of him grow or change perspectives. There are so many things that I will never know about, so many conversations about the small details of our parallel lives I know will never be recounted. The collective weight of the significance of these many seperately experienced moments wakes me up in the middle of the night.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think about this all the time. I wonder if it is possible to grow closer during this time or is it inevitable that we grow separately and will have to learn about each others separate growth when we are together again. I do not know how long your husband is going to be gone this time around but I feel so disconnected from my husband and he is only been gone a few months. And it does feel a little heavy at times. Hope you are well.
Maya

Post Tenebras Lux said...

This takes my breath away. You've put into words something I've always struggled to express. Thank you.

Two-Riffic Giggles said...

so, so true. I've often wondered this from time to time. Thank you for your inspiration. Since I've started blogging, my feelings come out instead of remaining bottled up. I will continue to pray for you and your family through this tough journey. :)
- Rachael

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

It's amazing how the deep, deep love we have for our deployed husbands demands that we never stop longing to know even the smallest detail.

How even the most insignificant of thought feels monumental.

I know I lay in bed at night wondering what he's thinking, what he's feeling. What is making him smile... wishing it was me.

All this to say, I understand.

-Andrea

Anonymous said...

So very true. I have loved reading your entries, so I nominated you for a blog award, see my blog for details.

Anonymous said...

I think about this at times. I have loved reading your entries, so I nominated you for a blog award, see my blog for details.

danyiel said...

this is so wonderfully written, it does a wonderful job expressing the feelings that so many military wives feel on a regular basis. Thank-you for writing down exactly how I feel:)

Anonymous said...

So perfectly stated, every thought I've had since he's been gone since January. My nagging thought is always who's made him laugh or brought a smile to his face today and sad knowing it wasn't me.

hanna.watts said...

It's interesting and comforting to read that so many people feel the same way or at least similarly.